FREIBORNE OIL 3W is a water emulsifiable oil designed to provide corrosion protection on phosphated or bare steel parts. OIL 3W is formulated to provide superior corrosion protection while leaving the finished part with the minimum of oily film, providing improved handling and torque characteristics. OIL 3W will provide over 100 hours of salt spray protection when used in conjunction with FREIBORNITE HZ-2 zinc phosphate and up to 96 hours of humidity protection over bare steel. OIL 3W meets GM 4435 and Ford S-2 specification. Oil 3W retains its rust preventative performance even in hard water. It is an excellent choice for short-term rust protection when locally shipping steel products such as pipe and tubing.
Water emulsifiable oil designed to provide corrosion protection on phosphated or bare steel parts withg good hard water perfromance. OIL 3W is formulated to provide superior corrosion protection while leaving the finished part with the minimum of oily film, providing improved handling and torque characteristics.
Important: Always add the oil to the water.
1. Fill tank 3/4 full with clean warm water (100^-120^F).
2. Although FREIBORNE OIL 3W is readily emulsifiable at room temperature, for ease of mixing, it is advisable that the water be heated to 100o -120°F.
3. Add 7%-20% by volume of FREIBORNE OIL 3W.
4. Mix thoroughly.
5. Heat to the desired temperature and begin work.
Concentration Control Method:
1. Measure 50 mls. of the bath into a 100 ml. graduate.
2. Add 40 mls. of Testing Solution #44.
3. Mix and allow to stand for one hour. (95% separation will occur in the first few
minutes. Additional heat supplied by a water bath will aid in separation.)
4. Note the number of mls. of the oily layer.
5. Mls. of the oily layer x 2.0 = % by volume of FREIBORNE OIL 3W concentration.
PH ADJUSTMENT METHOD:
1. Obtain a 1 Liter sample of the bath after thoroughly mixed.
2. Use a stirring plate if available.
3. With pH meter check the pH and record the value as pH1. It should be between 8.50 and 9.50. A new tank of Oil 3W will have a pH above 9.00.
4. Only if the pH is below 8.50 make an addition of 45% Liquid Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) diluted 10:1 with water. The initial adjustment should be up to 8.75 (pH2). Use the below formulation for adjustment purposes:
mls 45% KOH = (pH 2 − pH1)× (Working Volume in gal) × .2 763
5. Check the pH again after the addition has had time to fully mix into the bath and
make a second adjustment up to a target pH of 9.00.
2700 gals working solution of Freiborne Oil 3W has a pH of 8.40
First adjustment: mls 45% KOH = ( 75.8 − 40.8 )× (2700) × .2 763 = 2611mls
(Dilute to 26 liters with water before adding)
Second adjustment: mls 45% KOH = ( 00.9 − 75.8 )× (2700) × .2 763 = 1865mls
(Dilute to 19 liters with water before adding)
Generally, more than 1500 mls of concentrated base should not be added to the bath at one time. It should be diluted before addition and thoroughly mixed into the tank afterwards
Ambient – 150
Carbon Steel, Galvanized Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Copper/Brass
Spray or Immersion
To place an order, please contact our knowledgeable and professional customer service team:
- PHONE: 248-333-2490
- EMAIL: Click to Email
If you are unable to find what you need or require a custom formula, please call and speak with one of our knowledgeable Formula Engineers. They can walk you through the ordering process quickly and professionally.