Freiborne Oil 5WX is a wax containing water emulsifiable oil, used on top of phosphated steel parts as well as bare alloys. Oil 5WX is normally used at concentrations of 5 % to 20 % by volume for rack, barrel; or spray applications. Freiborne Oil 5WX exceeds GM 4435 and Ford S-2 specification requirements. At concentrations of 8% to 10% by volume, Freiborne Oil 5WX may be used to provide a dry finish with 96 hours of salt spray protection over zinc phosphated parts.
Freiborne Oil 5WX is a wax containing water emulsifiable oil, used on top of phosphated steel parts as well as bare alloys. Oil 5WX is normally used at concentrations of 5 % to 20 % by volume for rack, barrel; or spray applications. Freiborne Oil 5WX exceeds GM 4435 and Ford S-2 specification requirements.
Important: Always add oil to the water.
1. Fill tank 3/4 full with clean warm water (100°-120°F).
2. Although Freiborne Oil is emulsifiable at room temperature, for ease of mixing, it is advisable that the water be heated to 140°-160°F
3. Add 5%-20% by volume of Freiborne Oil 5WX
4. Mix thoroughly
5. Heat to the desired temperature and begin work
CONCENTRATION CONTROL METHOD:
ACID SPLIT METHOD
1. Measure 50 mL’s. of the bath into a 100 ml. graduate.
2. Add 40 mL’s. of Testing Solution #44.
3. Mix and allow to stand for one hour. (95% separation will occur in the first few minutes. Additional heat supplied by a water bath will aid in separation.)
4. Note number of mL’s. of the oily layer.
5. mL’s. of the oily layer x 2.0 = % by volume of Freiborne Oil 5WX.
REFRACTOMETER: A 0 to 30o
brix scale is used to determine a direct concentration
pH ADJUSTMENT METHOD
1. Obtain a 1 Liter sample of the bath after thoroughly mixed.
2. Use a stirring plate if available.
3. With a calibrated pH meter check the pH (pH1). It should be between 8.00 and 9.50. A new tank of Oil 5WX will have a pH above 9.00.
4. Only if the pH is below 8.50 make an addition of 45% Liquid Potassium Hydroxide (KOH). The initial adjustment should be up to 8.75 (pH2). Use the below formulation for adjustment purposes:mls 45% KOH = ( pH 2 − pH1)× .2 165× (WorkingVolume in Gallons)
EXAMPLE: 1000 gals working solution of Freiborne Oil 5WX has a pH of 8.50
mls 45% KOH = ( 75.8 − 5.8 )× .2 165× (1000) = 541mls 45% KOH5. A second adjustment should then be made up to 9.00.
EXAMPLE: Continuing the previous example: 1000 gals working solution of Freiborne Oil 5WX has a pH of 8.75
mls 45% KOH = ( 00.9 − 75.8 )× .2 165× (1000) = 541mls 45% KOH
Bath conductivity should be routinely checked with a working and calibrated conductivity meter. Conductivity is a means of measuring the amount of salts and contaminants present in the bath. As the conductivity increases the effectiveness of Oil 5WX will suffer. Operational experience will be the best determinant for your operation’s critical conductivity level. Typically adverse effects start to become apparent above 3500µS (micro seimens) with a normal maximum allowable conductivity of 5000µS. These limits are only suggestions and will likely need to be adjusted based on how sensitive and critical this process is in your overall operation..
IMPROTANT: Any addition of 45% Potassium Hydroxide Liquid (caustic potash liquid) should be diluted with fresh water prior to adding it to the oil tank. Generally, no more than 1500 mls of caustic potash liquid should be added to the bath at one time. If more than 1500 mls is required to perform a single adjust the adjustment must be made in multiple steps. For example, if a total addition of 3600 mls of caustic potash liquid is required the adjustment could be made with 3 separate additions of 1200 mls each diluted with water prior to addition and thoroughly mixed into the tank prior to the next addition.
Carbon Steel, Gavanized Steel
To place an order, please contact our knowledgeable and professional customer service team:
- PHONE: 248-333-2490
- EMAIL: Click to Email
If you are unable to find what you need or require a custom formula, please call and speak with one of our knowledgeable Formula Engineers. They can walk you through the ordering process quickly and professionally.