Freiclean 105CT is a dry mixture of sodium hydroxide and potassium permanganate that aids in the removal of heat scales and carbon smut from ferrous, stainless steel and high temperature alloys without corrosion of the base metals. Treatment with Freiclean 105CT can improve the subsequent pickling and coating uniformity by removing any interfering heat scales or carbon smuts from the substrate.
Dry mixture of that aids in the removal of heat scales and carbon smut from ferrous, stainless steel and high temperature alloys without corrosion of the base metals. Treatment with Freiclean 105CT can improve the subsequent pickling and coating uniformity by removing any interfering heat scales or carbon smuts from the substrate.
- handling instructions
- make-up procedures
- equipment recommendations
- operating parameters
- typical descaling cycle
- testing and control
- Ordering Information
Freiclean 105CT is generally used prior to an acid pickle in a mild steel tank at 19°-205° F. Treatment times vary depending on surface condition, bath concentration, and temperature. If the work is oily or greasy an alkaline soak cleaner or spray cleaner must be used to remove these soils. If there is burnt on carbon or heavy smut, then a weak acid is used to crack the carbon surface. The Freiclean 105CT is then used to chemically burn the carbon off. The cracks allow for a much greater surface and depth of chemical attack. Operating experience should provide a reasonable cleaning cycle time for your particular operation. As smut and scale are oxidized, sludge containing manganese oxide, as well as other insoluble metallic oxides will form in the tank. Sludge must be routinely removed to maintain the effectiveness of the cleaning solution.
Freiclean 105CT is a highly alkaline and oxidizing material. Contact with skin or eyes may cause irritation or burns. Observed the same safety precautions as when handling caustic type materials. (P.P.E.) Personnel Protective Equipment should include eye protection, rubber gloves and apron or other protective clothing when working with this material. Processing tanks using this material must have adequate exhaust system to protect workers against irritating or corrosive airborne contaminants.
When making up new solutions add Freiclean 105CT SLOWLY to cold water with constant stirring. Heat is generated as this material is dissolved into water, using warm or hot water to make-up the bath could cause boiling or eruption of the tank. If it is necessary to make replenishment additions to the hot tank, spread the Freiclean 105CT addition over the surface of the tank a little at a time while stirring.
This material can be used with 300 series stainless steel or mild steel tanks and heaters. However the most efficient method of heating is with gas burners placed beneath the tank. Racks and baskets are usually made from 300 series stainless steel.
Ventilation equipment should be made of materials that resist oxidizers and caustic fumes. Do not use ductwork made of aluminum, organic materials or with organic linings such as wood, plastic or paint.
• Pre-cleaning to remove organic oils and grease with a Freiclean alkaline cleaner.
• Water rinse to remove the acid.
• 15 to 30 minute soak in the Freiclean 105CT bath.
• Water rinse to remove the Freiclean 105CT solution.
• An acid pickle or bright dip to remove any staining and further loosen the smut and scale.
• Water rinse to remove the acid and loose soils. (Cleaning cycle can be repeated if not
• Coating or sealing the cleaned metal surface.
1. Filter about 25 mL’s of solution through a glass fiber filter spun glass wool forced into the stem of a glass funnel or Fisher Brand G9 or equivalent.
2. Carefully pipette 2 mL’s of the filtered sample into 250 mL’s Erlenmeyer flask.
3. Add about 50 mL’s of water.
4. Add approximately 2 grams of Indicating Powder #104 (Potassium Iodide) and 5 mL’s of Testing Solution 44 (50% sulfuric acid), Let stand 2 minutes.
5. Add 3 mL of Indicating Solution #10 (starch indicator) and titrate with Testing solution #118 (0.1N Sodium Thiosulfate) to the disappearance of the dark blue starch Iodide color.
Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel
Drawing, Extrusion, Paint Pretreatment, Cleaning
To place an order, please contact our knowledgeable and professional customer service team:
- PHONE: 248-333-2490
- EMAIL: Click to Email
If you are unable to find what you need or require a custom formula, please call and speak with one of our knowledgeable Formula Engineers. They can walk you through the ordering process quickly and professionally.
Freiborne Industries, Inc is proudly powered by WordPress